Sunday, August 4, 2013

Zeke's Arrival

Baby Zeke Benjamin Murray arrived July 8th at 9:12pm.  He weighted in at 8lbs 1ounce and was 20 inches long.  One of our neighbors asked Brent how we were doing with the new baby and he responded that we didn't know what we were doing, but that we were sure having fun!  I would totally agree... we are having fun and learning a lot!!
So far we've learned some important baby lessons:
  • We have learned we are glad his biggest eating problem is falling asleep while eating... definitely much better than screaming while eating!
  • We have learned we are SO GRATEFUL when he poops!  His first days home from the hospital he had some pooping issues... so now we are all so EXCITED when we hear him fill up his diaper!  Brent still gives him high-fives for poopy diapers!  This excitement makes it just plain fun to change those stinky diapers!
  • We have learned baby hair RUBS OFF!  Zeke was born with lots of hair... and I was a little shocked when we gave him his first bath and I washed his hair and suddenly he had BALD spots! 
  • I have learned I am way grateful for DVR and satellite TV.  I have never had trouble sleeping and have never really gotten to be up at night enjoying all the hours of the night... Zeke is a pretty good sleeper, but sometimes once he eats he has a hard time falling back asleep... so I get to catch up on all my DVR TV shows in the middle of the night (like "Good Luck Charlie" and "Get Smart"!). 
  • We have learned that babies are VERY LOUD sleepers.  He grunts and squeals and makes noise all night long... especially during the 1/2 hour he spends stretching as he wakes up.... but we are glad he makes noise cause then we know everything is ok and that he is alive and breathing.
  • We have learned that diapers apparently leak if you don't install them correctly.  Brent has mastered the diaper, I have not... therefore whenever I put Zeke's diapers on we can expect to get wet (either while putting the diaper on... or afterwards when the diaper leaks out). 
My water broke Monday morning at 12:30am (July 8th) and we left for the hospital just after 1am.  Brent got his wish of having my water break (although I think he was hoping my water would break in PUBLIC) and I got my wish of needing to rush to the hospital in the middle of the night.  By 3am we were situated in a room in the hospital and I was dilated to a 4... by early morning both the delivery nurse and the doctor told us that we could expect a baby around noon.  Noon came and went and we were still in labor.  Zeke was a little picky about his delivery... his vitals would go crazy unless I laid on my RIGHT side, oddly enough my epidural wouldn't work very well when I was on my right side.  The anesthesiologist was super nice and kept checking on me and would give me "boosters" when things started to get too painful to help with the pain for a little while.  I also needed to be on oxygen and he ended up having some monitors screwed into his head to better monitor his heart rate.  Since it seemed baby Zeke was so dang picky about the labor and delivery, I was nervous that we would be getting a very fussy baby.... but he has proved otherwise.  Zeke is pretty easy going, happy, and hardly cries.  He's got cute dimples when he smiles... and he LOVES to smile and laugh in his sleep.  His first awake smile went to Brent.
 
One of the biggest surprises for me was that Brent practically delivered our baby!  I had been imagining a TV delivery where Brent would stand by my head, feed me popsicles, drape wet rags over my forehead, and hold my hand.  Shockingly enough most of the delivery Brent and ONE NURSE were in the room telling me when to push (Brent was standing side-by-side with the nurse helping me push)... he did get me popsicles, until I started throwing them up, then we decided to stick to ice chips.  It wasn't until the very, very, very end when the doctor and a million baby nurses showed up.

Brent's bed during labor/delivery... doesn't he look comfy?!  Pretty sure he didn't get ANY sleep with all the nurses coming in and out all night and all day long.

LOVE this picture of Zeke looking at Julie

Zeke's first stinky diaper change (well the first one WE had to change)

This guy makes A LOT of facial expressions!

Brent and Zeke enjoying "sports time" by watching Baseball

LOVE his funny facial expressions

I can't look at this picture without laughing so hard I cry!  He looks like a jail bird or like a tough football player.




Zeke's first piece of mail.


 
 
We love little Zeke and are so grateful to get to have the miracle of him in our family!  I remember staring in awe when he was born, I couldn't believe he was here.  I still feel that way, I love watching him all day and all night long.  I love hearing his sounds and noises.  I love getting to hold him.  I totally melt when he gives me a smile or cuddles up close to me.  I know now that he is here my life will never, ever be the same again... and I'm so glad.  Before he was born I would worry that he felt lonely inside of me... I yearned for him to be born so he would know he wasn't alone and that we loved him so much! 

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Brent's bed looks SO much better than the couches Rusty had to sleep on! When I'm up at night with a newborn I often wonder what women used to do instead of watch tv to pass the time. Can you imagine just feeding your baby in the dark with nothing to do?! lol First world problems, I know. I love getting their first mail! It makes them so official! Gotta go now, Hailey is screaming at me, ugh!

Liz Huntsman said...

Oh my word! He is so BEAUTIFUL!!! Great job guys! The first couple of months can be very tiring ... but it gets better and better. :) Those feelings that you feel when you look at him, and feel him, and every other feeling you have had since he was born are feelings that never go away. I still love that with all my boys ... even though they are older. Love those precious baby moments though. They go by so fast (even though the days sometimes go by so slowly). Can't wait to meet the little guy!