Monday, April 16, 2012

Eyeball

True Story. My imagination got the better of me today. I usually park a few houses away from my office (so the clients have room to park closer to the office) on the side of a house with a vinyl fence. Shortly after I started my job I noticed the fence got blasted with what looked like a paintball. The paintball left a little hole in the vinyl fence. I have NEVER seen anyone at this house before… it is well taken care of so I know people live there, I just have never actually physically seen anyone at the house before. When I pulled up to my usual parking spot today I noticed that the owners had put up a blue tarp above the vinyl fence… almost like a little tent roof or something. At first I chuckled to myself as I remembered reading a creepy magazine article one day at the doctor’s office about urban people who raise their own animals and have “backyard slaughterhouses”. I began to JOKINGLY wonder if these people behind the vinyl fence were creating their own slaughterhouse with a tarp roof. I’ve NEVER heard any animal noises so I’m sure they are not raising or killing animals in their backyard. Anyway, I walked into work and forgot about the blue tarp.
After work as I was walking back to my car, I noticed the blue tarp again. My mind again began to wander and create stories about the presence of the blue roof tarp. I began thinking about disturbing news articles about kidnappers hiding those they kidnapped in sheds in their backyard. The thought disgusted me and I quickly tried to stop thinking about it. By this time I was very near my car. I could hear noises coming from behind the fence… sounded something like digging. I tried not to let my mind think. I quickly opened my car door and jumped inside…. BUT out of the corner of my eye I could see through that little peep hole in the fence and saw a PERSON. My creepy thoughts rushed back into my head. My heart was pounding. Dare I turn my head for a better look? I did dare. I turned my head. I looked. I could see an arm. I watched for a second or two and the arm didn’t move. I felt relieved. Just an arm. No slaughter tools, no one crying out for help. Just as I was content to look away… the entire peephole filled with an eyeball! Exactly like a horror movie when the creepy neighbor puts his head up next to the fence and peeks through! I jumped! I fumbled with the keys trying to start the car so I could peel out! I was too stinking scared to even scream (or maybe I did scream and I've just blocked it from my memory)! I am sure it was just a very nice person doing some very nice yard work in the very nice shade of their very nice blue tarp in their very own very nice backyard (and they were probably creeped out from the stranger who parks by their fence and sits in their car staring through THEIR peephole). None-the-less, I can assure you I will be finding a new parking spot… away from the eyeball. I fear the eyeball.

2 comments:

Shar and Tyson said...

Note to self, Cindy is scared by eyeballs. :)

Karen and Adam said...

We want to know if the eye happened to have flames around it and follow you like a spotlight while saying in a super-creepy low voice, "CINDY! I SEE YOU!" If so, we're concerned that the "One Ring" was never actually destroyed in Mordor and that entire last book was just a hoax. Drat! Cindy, as always, your stories are the best, but I do hope you avoid that certain fence from now on. Creepy!