Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Domestic-ness

Never before in the history of the WORLD have I ever been given a food assignment for Thanksgiving dinner with my Mom's family. I was once given a food assignment for a family reunion with my Mom's family.... a salad... things got crazy and I ended up buying a bagged salad (and a serving bowl) on the way to the reunion. Yah, it was kind of a FAILURE when I opened the bagged salad in front of 40+ people and out popped like 5 pieces of lettuce. Luckily I don't consider that experience an EPIC FAILURE... just a failure, a failure to learn from. Unfortunately I have had some EPIC cooking failures... quite a few of them. Enough failures that my family really did everything in their power to make sure I did NOT cook. If I ever brought over food to my family they would ask "Who made it? You or Brent?". But things have improved over the last few years. Brent has been patient with my cooking. I have not burned any counter tops and we only have ONE pan with char marks so bad i can't get rid of them (I just keep using the pan anyway hoping eventually the charred bits will cook off or something). I got rid of all our smoke detectors (except one in the basement) so that has dramatically helped to stop announcements when I start a small fire or create billows upon billows of smoke in the kitchen.

Anyway... for the first time EVER I got a Thanksgiving cooking assignment for my Mom's family Thanksgiving... Joni and I got asked to make ROLLS together! We were both pretty nervous... but we figured if our rolls didn't turn out we'd just go buy some (and say we made them). We had SO MUCH FUN making the rolls together, and JoyAnne had a lot of fun with my camera. It was a party! I love hanging out with my sistas, they keep me laughing! (Luckily the rolls even turned out!) We are pretty dang impressed with our mad domestic culinary skills!

I love this series of pictures JoyAnne took of me reading and Joni enjoying the dough! This recipe was kind of complicated... at least for my cooking skill level... so I had to read, re-read, re-read again, ask questions, then read again to figure out EVERY step of the recipe! I knew I spent a lot of time reading the recipe over, but it wasn't until I got home and looked at JoyAnne's pictures that I saw just how much time I spent reading!


More intense reading (I think Joni is using telepathy in the top right picture... isn't it funny when you take a picture of someone right in the middle of a blink... or right in the middle of telepathy?)


And here are some random pictures from JoyAnne's Thanksgiving Roll-Making documentary:


2 comments:

Karen and Adam said...

Oh how I love your blog! And just so you know, I'm totally signing up to be your sister because I'm convinced that would be the most FUN thing in the entire world! (I'm also excited to dye my hair gorgeous Clayton colors because there's just no way my blond will fit in.) It's good to know your sister uses telepathy. Adam and I will be sure to wear a lead apron on our heads next time we see her (do you think that blocks telepathy?). By the way, I love your aprons... they are super cute! Who cares what your food tasted like because you two looked so vogue making it! Although I'm glad to hear it turned out yummy!

Melissa said...

WOW! I am impressed! I don't even know how to make rolls! I rarely even get Rhoades rolls to work right! Way to go Cindy!